Monday, March 4, 2019

WASTE NOT, WANT NOT

Yarn scraps can be used for fun projects.
When I was a kid, that's what my parents always said. What they really meant was wise use of your resources helps your budget. Mom saved cottage cheese cartons, cans, plastic jugs and much more. She made our clothes and she made leftovers into great new meals. Dad saved screws, nails and scrap wood from building projects. Born during the Great Depression years and both World War II veterans, they wasted nothing.

I'm not as thrifty, but I still don't like to waste. Since I love to crochet, I found myself with a basket of yarn scraps. Winter snow and cold weather made me think "warm," so I knew my orphan yarn needed to cover something.

I began stitching it into double crochet strips 20 stitches wide. Each strip is the same length. I plan to sew them together and make “crazy” afghans for my granddaughters. I envision the girls in their college dorm rooms wrapping the blankets around themselves. 

I read, write, do crafts of all kinds, garage sale, I walk, I organize stuff and I like to clean. Yep, I've been the bane of my family's existence for years. And my dog barks like crazy at the very sight of my vacuum. My mom used to call me, "Old Dutch," like the cleanser brand.

In fact, I just found a simple homemade glass cleaner to try: 1 1/2 Cup water, 1 1/2 Tablespoons white vinegar, 1 1/2 Tablespoons rubbing alcohol and 3 drops peppermint essential oil. It sounds awesome! At the very least, the peppermint scent should keep away the creepy crawly bugs.

I'm always thinking about what to do next. My husband tells me to relax and take it easy. Try taking a nap. I tell him I'll sleep when I'm dead. There's no time to waste, I have a lot to do, even if I'm not sure what that is yet.

What are your hobbies? 








No comments:

Post a Comment